background

Monday, January 31, 2011

Facts of life on a farm

So, while my 6 year old was contently cutting up all our scratch paper I thought I could quickly run out and take care of the bunnies, I was going to wait till tomorrow to put Eve (our only mature female bunny) in Adam's (her mate) pen but since it is suppose to get beyond freezing tonight I thought why not let them snuggle tonight, 1 day won't ruin our plans for easter bunnies and so I snuck her into his cage.

As I thought to myself 'boy I am happy no little 6 yr olds are out here to ask me a bunch of questions' my son yells for me from the garden, I ask him go back inside and wait for me--does he? Nope, instead he ever so kindly raise our fridge for bunny goodies and heads back to the backyard. He didn't notice at first--probably since he couldn't see Even under Adam, so I was hoping he wouldn't catch on, but since Skiddish (our black male who shared a wall with adam) started nipping at even and getting her fur I decided to move him to Eves cage--we love playing musical cages--and that is when he asked 'Mommy, why is that bunny in with that bunny'

I panicked a bit, I had planned on being honest with him, but on the other hand Daddy said he wanted to give him the facts of life speech and if I answered this question honestly I might have to answer a lot more and therefore stealing daddy's moment so for a split moment I considered telling him 'so they can stay warm'--obviously my answer took too long so he piped up again 'cause they are going to have babies?'

'yep' I said, 'cause they are going to have babies for the easter bunny'

to my suprise, he didn't ask anymore questions, just said ok and moved onto to give a carrot to Prince (our newer red eyed white bunny mini rex)

one day I will actually get pics of all our little bunnies up so you will know which one I which but for now I hope you can keep them straight

No comments:

Post a Comment